Wilton Windmill stands high above the small village of Wilton, near Marlborough in Wiltshire, on a site that provides magnificent views of the surrounding hills. The mill is the only working windmill in Wessex and was originally built in 1821 after the new Kennet and Avon canal had been built. This canal was built over and through the site of some local watermills and the pumps providing the water for the canal also lowered the river levels so that the remaining watermills were no longer viable.
The mill was in operation for 100 years, however with the introduction of new steam roller mills and fast production of cheap bread it became unwanted, was abandoned and then fell into disrepair. However the mill was finally restored to its former glory in 1976, by a team of dedicated volunteers.
Today it is managed and operated by the Wilton Windmill Society which uses the mill and provides guided tours, whilst the mill is still owned by Wiltshire Council.